Friday, December 26, 2008

if only i could go back and do it again...

From the good fellas at viva el birdos, a post spurred by the nostalgia of holiday emotions:
The central tragedy of human life, I believe, is that we only get one chance at it. We never learn anything early enough to put it to good use; life lessons always come too late to do anything but regret them.

I really like this bit. I know it's a pretty obvious concept and one that my Dad always drills into me (regarding how the grades you get are set in stone), but the way he puts it captures the sad essence of life. Another common saying is live life with no regrets, but that to me is borderline impossible. There are always going to be things in your past you could have acted/done better on, and it's important to remember and learn from these mistakes. People always learn their lesson much more effectively from trying and failing at something rather than someone warning them about it.

Edit: This makes it seem like I have a ton of regrets, and that's not what I was trying to get across. More just that we should really appreciate our chances ahead of us, because you can't go back and mulligan.

Hope everyone had a very merry christmas.

No comments: