Friday, March 20, 2009

Winter Quarter in Recap

Well first off, due to certain events that occurred in my English class, I am now paranoid about writing anything on here.
Thanks a lot Sam.

Anyway, I would just like to say this winter quarter of my sophomore year killed me. It really did. In a good way!

Coming into this quarter, I was excited and anxious to start this new direction in life, and I am glad to say that I am ecstatic with how it went. I set some pretty lofty goals and was all gung-ho about self-improvement after winter break, and although I obviously came short in many aspects, I can say that I made some small progress. Which is what we should always be striving for.
I'm going to stop this self-reflection thing now, just in case anyone decides to read it outloud to a random class during a final. Wouldn't want to be embarassed or anything.

Highlights:
All my classes - I can honestly say I enjoyed all of my classes this quarter. Really nice teachers, all fair and humorous to different degrees (all guys), and all topics that were at least somewhat interesting.
UCI Basketball - Sure it was an off year, but we really improved a lot during this winter quarter, which I'm happy about. I also got to cover my first game and interview my favorite player, which was personally gratifying. Also... Eric Wise, Recognize. Bland Rules the Land, Lauer Power, Strings got Wings, and of course, Decasas In the House. haha...
Meeting a lot of New People - For various reasons, I met a lot of cool people this quarter. Whether it was through Edge, softball, anthro, english, management, or just randomly, I thought it was a markedly better quarter than usual in this aspect. Cool beans.
Having Class with People - I was lucky enough to have anthro with Yeebs and Mwen, management with Singy, and class everyday with the wonderful DLy, which made a HUGE difference in how fun these particular classes were. It made going to class actually exciting and something I either looked forward to or took solace in. Especially journalism, I would have died in that class by myself.
New Keyboard - I am ridiculously excited to play it next quarter, and for future aspirations that involve the Px-320. This quarter was only the beginning.
General Progress - Ok so I'm mixing things to note with highlights, but yeah I'm glad I got to experience all of these: More or less determine apartment issues for next quarter, get into chinese for next quarter, try-out for worship team, take a practice LSAT, have one of the funniest sleepovers of my life, FINALLY get my first paycheck for newspaper staff, and bowl a 210. No big. =)
Spiritual Growth - This is always hard to judge personally, but I definitely am happy that I'm no longer in a state of stagnancy with my faith. On the way back from seeing Phil Wicky again this quarter, we almost got smashed by a Coach bus and then ran over this huge sign that was laying across the emergency lane. I'm not saying it was a near death experience or anything (although some people might think it was), but I definitely thank God for keeping me safe on that occasion and throughout this quarter. I don't have the fastest reflexes, but they have been able to save me from catastrophe so far in my life. Anyway, overall I'm still always hoping to make forward progress in my relationship with God. Praise Him for blessing me this quarter with all these awesome things.

Lowlights:
Procrastination Still - My initial goal of doing everything early and with plenty of time for office hours etc did not really pan out. I'm not sure if it was due partly to the teachers, or maybe the fact that I had 20 units, but I definitely had too many late night essay writing extravaganzas this quarter. Can't do that next quarter with 8 o'clock class everyday.
Gym Fail - After starting out well my first 2 weeks... going to the gym routinely absolutely failed. I think after that sickness I never really recovered. Plus the weird scheduling that occurred because of management. This is a MUST improve for next quarter. Or so help me God.
Mario Kart Skills Fading - Ok, maybe this is more just Mwen my padawan completely surpassing me and lamely breaking a bunch of my records. But this was very disgruntling. I am glad mario kart is no longer in Irvine.

Songs to define the quarter:
On the Wing, The Saltwater Room, Rainbow Veins, Hello Seattle - Owl City
Phil Wickham self-titled album - Phil Wickham
Crocodile Rock - Elton John
Mad - Ne-Yo
I am Free - Newsboys
Someone to Love - Fountains of Wayne
Africa - Straight no Chaser
Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
Time to Say Goodbye - Andrea Bocelli
Turkish March - Mozart
Kiss me through the phone - Soulja Boy
Mmhmm album (especially the songs with intros that Yi shook to) - Relient K
Invincible - Muse

1 comment:

D said...

NO NUJABES? Pft. Whatever.
Also, I don't get why I didn't get a section of my own. Edit.