Thursday, February 12, 2009

Voice

Since I'm becoming literary journalism major in the near future, I thought it'd be important to note something right now before I got too into the classes and such.

Whenever I sing during church or worship nights or in my room when no one else is there, I hecka struggle with the octave I'm singing in. If the song has a higher voice, I'll try to go up higher with the singer, until I realize I probably sound like a girl with a terribly screechy voice/an idiot. At that point I drop down to the lower octave. Other times, I'll start out low thinking I sound better that way, and then it'll drop too low and I'll find myself stretching my face in weird contortions trying to make audible notes that don't make me sound like I'm grunting/an idiot. So embarassing.
But musical voice aside...

I am scared to death that my writing has absolutely no unique voice, and never will, even after completing my major. While I believe I have an adequte ability to imitate other people's voice, I never look back at something I wrote and think oh nice, that's my voice right there. After reading Frankenstein or Shakespeare or whatever, I usually am able to mock their style/content. After just reading two lines of Twilight (before throwing up in my mouth), I can do a fair Stephanie Meyer impression. Well, at least something that could go into the Onion or something. But, if you were to ask someone to recognize a piece of my own writing, I doubt they'd be able to. Unless it was marked with shoddy grammar or sports cliches.

"I was half in love with her by the time we sat down. That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

I hope after I'm done with undergrad, I can have at least 1/10th of Mr. Salinger's voice.

On a side note... http://www.newuniversity.org/main/article?slug=soaring_across_the_seas178
I apologize for the disgusting last sentence. They took out my slightly creative last two sentences that were suppose to complete the red thread. I swear.

No comments: