Friday, June 4, 2010

Lessons from Love & Estrangement

As daunting and challenging this class was at times, I left it saying to myself "Man am I glad I'm a LJ major..." more times than not, and that pretty much speaks for itself.

"Life moves fast. Memories fade. People die. Only storytellers have the power to slow down time, force us to pay attention to the quiver of an old man's lip, the lavender streaks in a Missouri sky, the flutter of a woman's heart. How often do we ignore these details in every day life? How lucky are we to document them for the world to read?"

"God is in the details."

"Put yourself aside. Because the stories you write are so much bigger than you. Because the people you interview deserve to have their stories told. Because it is our responsibility."

Call me a sucker for the motivational speech, but I am pretty dang motivated. How can you not be after reading that on the last day of class?

No comments: