Sunday, January 11, 2009

struggling without struggles

If I were a baseball player right now, I would be riding a 2/38 slump right now and on the verge of being benched in favor of Aaron Miles.
If I were a musician I would claim to be exhausted from non-stop touring and taking artistic license to not come out with a new album for 4 years while releasing concert DVD's and B-Sides so as not to completely dissapear from the face of the earth.

The blogging idea well has run a bit dry as of recent. I worry about this when/if I get my own column.

Maybe it's because I'm too happy right now. I think if I were to take a step back right now, I would agree with all those adults that wistfully tell me that college is the best years of my life. While I hope that's not true because it is depressing to think that life is all downhill from here, I have to say that I am pretty blessed to be me right now. I think it's the nature of the beast that people write a lot more when they're troubled/not content/struggling. You naturally just think about things a lot more compared to when you're content. It's why music and art is heavily centered around depression, sadness, and love. "Awow", "Story of my Life", "Bain of my Existence", "my eye", "suriously", "bloody", "gaish" and etc have one thing in common and that is they do not proclaim general jovial happiness. There are no movies or shows made about people who are simply content and happy, but without juicy love stories or epic struggles to overcome. Except maybe Mr. Rogers and his make-believe neighborhood.

Much love to all the good buddies who took the time to drive up to Irvine this week to visit and made this week a blast, and all you other good people in Irvine who never fail to crack me up... Much excitement for the humor and styles of Mr's Harrison and Arkin minus further class cancellations...

1 comment:

The Big L said...

Haha your Aaron Miles comment made me laugh very hard.

I agree with you about how people write more when things aren't going as well. And while I always look forward to reading your posts, I guess if your blog gets a little scarce I will know you are doing well.