Monday, January 7, 2013

the asian-american male

As I get older, I have become increasingly interested in the Asian-American sub-culture, particularly of those whose parents faced immense hardships to immigrate to the United States. One of the cool things about law school is being introduced to individuals who have blazed the trail before me, people who faced similar pressures during childhood. Perhaps because while growing up I didn't know any ABC/K/J/et al. who belonged in that older generation, but it's always inspiring and encouraging to talk to these people who have succeeded and found balance between their cultural upbringing and their own individual interests.

While I haven't actually met him, Yul Kwon is someone who exemplifies what I'm referring to. He says he went on Survivor to break stereotypes and to be a role model for the Asian-American community; I'd say he accomplished what he set out to do. This interview below with Anderson Cooper captures things in a nutshell.


No comments: