Saturday, August 14, 2010

Leadership

"Take ownership of your leadership." - Welcome Pet

For whatever reason, I have been thrust/presented the opportunity to lead in various roles recently. This has been going on for awhile now, but alas, I have only been thinking about it more lately (It also happened to come up on Wednesday in JL^2/EKu's small group). Plus, as men, we must be responsible for leadership roles more readily, in general.

Sometimes I feel as if I too naturally take the backseat. My mom always criticized me for being like a "wooden plank" when I had to notice things to do myself--i.e, people too often had to verbally tell me to do something for me to do it. This is obviously not what being a leader entails. For anyone reading this and thinking to themselves, "uhh you still do this David," I apologize.

I pray that I can become someone who takes ownership of their leadership position at all times. Someone who can speak up knowing what to say at all times and someone who represents qualities that people want to follow. Besides not wanting to let anyone down (which is huge in itself), I know that these positions and opportunities are key foundational building blocks for the rest of my life... and I don't want a weaksauce foundation.

"Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy" - Isaac Newton

No comments: