Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sure Enough

One of the best things I learned from AP English in 11th grade was to cut out all the unnecessary words and clutter in your writing. Recently, I've been reading a book about becoming who God intended, and the author has some great ideas, but is less than eloquent.

I especially didn't like his use of the phrase "sure enough". As in, "I surmised that Johnny would be playing video games. Sure enough, when I looked inside, there he was, playing video games." What does that even mean? "Sure enough"? There is no 'enough' involved, Johnny in this case IS playing video games. I love my figures of speech (and catachresis apparently), but this one just seemed overly hackneyed.

It's weird, because "sure enough" is never usually used in its literal context anymore--the debating of whether you are confident enough in your decision. Instead it is like a guarantee of sorts--basically the "enough" is silent.

Hmm. In other news, cheers for successful new experiences and challenges, back-to-back walk-off wins in summer softball, Jesus equalling the rock in the bible, and the All-Star Game in Anaheim.

1 comment:

Matt Cheah said...

would you like some cheese with that whine?